Monday, December 19, 2011

Welcome Guest Author - Ginger Simpson


I wish I had a photo of a favorite Christmas to place here, but my family was never big on photographs...in fact, they weren't big on anything except just being a family. It saddens me that as I grow older, my childhood memories become dimmer and dimmer. When I try to share them with my younger sister, we have distinctly different recollections. She was nine when I married and moved away. Her childhood is vastly different than mine.

My favorite Christmas song has always been, "Ill be Home For Christmas." I cry whenever I hear it because it brings back memories of all the GOOD years I still cling to. Unfortunately, Christmas has changed. My grandparents and father are gone, people have their own children and new family rituals, and rifts in the family have caused discourse among some of us...and I must say I scratch my head over what happened, but it doesn't change the fact that going home to share a Christmas with everyone will never happen again. In a time when spirits should soar, I find myself strangely sad and my special Christmas song really prompts tears for all that is lost.

Gladly, I have Spencer in my life. He'll be the reason that I continue to create new and happy memories so hopefully when reaches adulthood he can look back and remember his "Nee Nee" as someone who holds a part of his heart forever, the way my grandmother is always with me. I'll always remember my father, and how he prompted the opening of the first gift on Christmas eve. "Just one," he always said, and we ended up in a flurry of wrapping paper and boxes until every gift was revealed. There wasn't a lot, but we never felt deprived. If I could have one wish, it would be to capture moments like those again just once. Since I can't, I'll just cherish what memories this song conjures up.

"I'll be Home Video:"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HOHO92CRwg



Oh, and a few years ago, my mother asked me to write a story for her as her Christmas gift. I was greatly touched, since I'd really never thought anyone in my family supported me as an author. After giving much thought to life, what she'd been through in losing my Dad, her parents, and how much she loved her grandsons, I came up with Virginia's Miracle. The short holiday story is offered through Eternal Press, and here's a snippet:

Virginia Collins fears her life is almost over. The one thing that still brings her joy is spending time with her young grandson, Davey. It's Christmas, and despite trying to view the holiday through a child's anxious eyes, Virginia still feels empty, alone and can't find her spirit. So many loved ones have passed, the yuletide is forever changed... until she receives a special Christmas Eve message.


You can find Ginger at:
http://www.gingersimpson.com
http://mizging.blogspot.com
http://cowboykisses.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/mizging
http://amazon.com/author/gingersimpson

2 comments:

  1. Ginger, thanks so much for visiting me today. I don't have much support family wise either as a writer, so ((hugs)) and my Christmas traditions are very different from my husband's family so I've been blending and making new traditions for my boys. It's been an experience. LOL!!

    My favorite song is "Angels We Have Heard on High." I love the "Gloria" part of the song. Very chilling and stirring for me.

    Thanks for visiting.
    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry I got here late, Ginger...just behind on everything.
    This post really rouched my heart; partly because it reminded me of some of my own childhood and partly because it made me just want to give you a big hug. I love the song I'll Be Home For Christmas, too. It's like a wish for the closeness you wish you had.
    Sadly, my parents died before I had a chance to become published but, if my mother had asked me to write a story for her as a gift...well...I think I would have wept with joy. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas, Ginger.

    ReplyDelete