Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Next Big Thing - A Gentleman and a Rogue, steampunk romance


10 Interview Questions for: The Next Big Thing

Maria Hammarblad tagged me for "The Next Big Thing Hop" ☺ You can find Maria's Blog at: http://www.scifiromance.info

The Rules:
I'll answer 10 questions about my work in progress. Then I'll tag 5 authors to participate. Should they chose to, you'll find their blogs up on 26 SEP.

#1 What is the working title of your book?

A: A Gentleman and A Rogue, Book 2, The Windsor Diaries

#2 Where did the idea come from for the book?

A: It was inspired by the steampunk genre, time traveling machines, HG Wells, Jules Verne, Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey Jr., and Jude Law. Think Victorian England meets a brass and iron future.

#3: What genre does your book fall under?

A: Steampunk Romance

#4 What actors would you chose to play your character in a movie rendition:

Keira Russell: Keira Knightly
Edmund Windsor: Robert Pattinson
Alice Windsor: Mena Suvari
Grayson Kentfield: Orlando Bloom
Richard Windsor: Christian Cooke
Jocelyn Dunkirk: Nina Dobrev
Douglas Dunkirk: Alan Rickman
Jonas Byron: James McAvoy

#5 – What is a one sentence synopsis of your book?

A: When Edmund Windsor travels back in time to set the time line straight, will Keira let her heart fall in love with him again?

#6 – Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

A: I'm with a small press so it's not self published, but I'm not with an agency.

#7 – How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

A: 3 Months.

#8 – What other books would you compare this story to within this genre?

A: I know there are a bunch of steampunk romances out there. I even have one on my kindle to read, but I really can't say. I've read Steampunk'd, which is an anthology of "mainstream/literary" stories (without a romantic focus) which I would recommend to give you the flavor of steampunk. I know Pauline Baird writers steampunk as does Gloria Harchar and Karen Michelle Nutt. I might also recommend watching the Sherlock Holmes movies with Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law to give you a taste of steampunk.

#9 – Who or what inspired you to write this book?

A: Desert Breeze EIC, Gail Delaney, put out a call for a steampunk romance. I thought of setting it in England and loosely basing it on the Royals. Mena Suvari inspired "Alice" and Orlando Bloom inspired "Grayson" from book 1. Keira Knightly inspired "Keira" and Robert Pattinson inspired "Edmund" in book 2. The concept for the Windsor Diaries I worked out on my own after reading "Steampunk'd." Basically, I had a bunch of idea I meshed together.

#10 – What else about your book might pique the readers' interest?

A: There's time travel, two romances, Queen Victoria, lots of steam, brass, iron, titanium rivets and a transmogrifier.

I'd like to "tag" the following authors:


Vijaya Schartz http://www.romancingscifi.blogspot.com
Celia Yeary http://celiayeary.blogspot.com
Mona Risk http://monarisk.blogspot.com
And Jennifer Wilck. http://jenniferwilck.com/blog/


Again, there's no pressure for these authors to pick up the call, but I'd love to discover what they've got cooking up their sleeves.

Smiles
Steph

5 comments:

  1. Steph--you are a wonder! Three months to work up a draft? How about two years? I'd be embarrased to tell about my one WIP. Although, I do like it. Your book sounds intriguing--and your creativity astounds me. Keep it up--you're doing a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Celia. Yeah, it takes me about 3 months. I get frustrated if it's any longer. LOL!!

    I love your writing. Congrats on Texas Promise now out in print! I know you're excited about that.

    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a book I enjoyed a lot. Now I will be able to imagine the story with the right actors playing in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds Interesting, Steph. I have a book with some Steampunk elements, but haven't done a whole work, and it's been a while since I finished a book in three months.

    You go, girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mona, I'm so glad you enjoyed this story. I think the actors I picked really resemble the characters I have in my head. Nina Dobrev is new to me, but she's the perfect "Jocelyn!"

    Tina, polish off that story! Steampunk can be a lot of fun, but I found I needed to do a lot of research. I'm a fairly quick writer in that regard, but I've got a couple of stories out now. My first story, The Hungarian," published with Desert Breeze took a good year to write.

    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete