Sunday, September 2, 2012

Feast of Candles: 99 cent spicy romance: "This book turned out to be a sex story!"


Feast of Candles, my 99 cent spicy romance released in July 2012. Written for the 2011 Victory Tales Press Christmas anthology, it's about a lonely woman, Lily Marquand, who runs a winery. Lily's looking for Mr. Right, but Mr. Right is not in Sonoma, CA. Enter Drake deBrettville. He's sampled Lily's wine and wants to meet her. When he does, the sparks fly. Does Lily dare to let him into her lonely heart?

I enjoy writing all heat levels. I've written sweet, sensual, and spicy. And I usually don't get spicer than Feast of Candles. And I'm quick to tell readers my heat level so they're aware of what their getting.

From Amazon Reviewer: Loves Romance: "The ending with the feast of candles is so romantic you'll want your own feast of candles with your sweetheart."

Then there's one from Billie Houston, Amazon Reviewer: "Some of the love scenes in this book may hasten global warming. Great story."

One reader/Amazon Reviewer didn't pay attention: D. Pennington wrote: "It turned out to be just a sex story!! It was told in very explicet sex language, about every time they had sex,which wasvery often, almost the whole book. The review should be much more explicet, so one would kmow what they were getting. It was worse than the "True Stories" magazine of years ago!! I would not reccommend this book to anyone I know!!"

I love to hear your thoughts:

Does this review make you curious to read the book? Do you get the vibe that the story is 50 Shades of Grey spicy? Or just filled with sex scenes?

Here's a small excerpt:

Small Excerpt:

He stared into her eyes, keeping his hand on her waist. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." She hesitated. "Everything. You..." her voice trailed off. Silence grew between them. God, what had she been thinking? Was it possible to have a future with him?

http://amzn.com/B008NXELPG

5 comments:

  1. Steph,

    I read it and enjoyed the story very much. It's definitely spicy romance and is by no stretch of the imagination loaded with sex all the way through! I think readers need to be more aware of what they're buying and not just get taken in by lower prices.

    Angela Britnell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela, Amen. I echo that sentiment. It's a bummer for all around. The reader who is disappointed because they expect one thing and get another and I get bummed because they didn't enjoy the story and as an author, I want the reader to enjoy the story. That's what means the most to me.

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Europe, the author Laurell Hamilton gets told she puts too much violence into her books. In the USA, she gets complaints about too much sex. I thought we had outgrown our Puritan beginnings...I guess not. We will take our kids to see evisceration and other gross violence in movies, but won't allow them to even glimpse a loving moment between two people, even though one destroys life and the other creates life. Apparently we value destruction more than life and love. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steph,
    I haven't read this story but it sounds great. I've read your spicy stories before and they are always tastefully done and are never just sex stories. You have lots of emotion and love in them. This reviewer might help your sales. LOL I think it's hilarious she mentioned True Story Romances from years ago and said your story is worse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fiona, amazing isn't it. I could really do with less violence. My kids don't need that. I so agree with your thought. I try not to take my kids to the overly violent movies, but they do enjoy superhero movies.

    Diane,
    Thank you for saying that. I try to hard to give the stories emotional substance. I never heard of True Story Romances, but hey, everyone has their own tastes. I respect that.

    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete