Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Book Review for: Forever Liesl #bookreview #soundofmusic



 Forever Liesel Review

Written by: Charmian Carr with Jean A.S. Strauss
eISBN: 978-0-140-29840-6
Published by: Penguin Books

3.5 Stars

Reviewer’s Note: I discovered the Sound of Music in 1987. I was 21 and stationed in Germany at the time.  (I was active duty, US Army.) The movie really struck a chord in me. It embodied love, hope, and me believe anything was possible with faith. I visited Salzburg on leave and fell in love with the city. It still looked as it did during filming.

I loved the character of Liesel. Charmian hit all the right notes with her character.  Hope. Disappointment. A willingness to learn. 16 going on 17 was my favorite song.

When I heard Charmian Carr passed away on 17 September 2016, due to complications from a rare form of dementia, a part of me realized how important her character had become to the fabric of my outlook on life. I went searching on Amazon to see if there were any books I could about Charmian and her career. What a treat that I found “Forever Liesel.” Her prologue to the book sums up what I feel when it comes to the movie and how “Liesel” made a deep impression on those who watched the movie.

REVIEW:
Charmian Carr shares her life experiences filming the “Sound of Music” and how those experience impacted her life with “Forever Liesel.” Charmian comes from a complicated home, but possesses a natural talent to entertain. This talent brings her to the attention of Saul Chaplin, a producer for the “Sound of the Music.” After several auditions, Charmian is hired.

Her story is like a fairytale for many readers. Carr shares the highs and lows of being recognized as “Liesel” throughout her life, along with intimate tidbits that occurred while filming the movie.

Written in a charming voice and an intimate style which is easy to read, one can hear Carr’s voice in their head as they  turn the pages.  If you’re a fan of the movie, you will enjoy Carr’s story which is “Forever Liesel.” 


Question for you:  Who was your favorite character in "The Sound of Music?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment