Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Great Summer Read: Journey of the Heart 99 cent on Amazon Kindle

 


BLURB: 

James DiMera returns to his home in California after World War II, only to find out he's lost his farm. His way of life gone, James becomes a journeyman, selling Bibles, looking for a sense of purpose. But after the loss of his dream, what can there be for him?


Rachel Santori's family winery is in trouble. She's looking for someone to trust. When Rachel meets James, she can't deny how he touches her lonely heart and soul with his kindness and the way comes to her aid. How long has it been since she had someone to depend on? Can James find a place of belonging in Rachel’s life? Can love mend both their weary hearts?

EXCERPT: 

She approached the older man behind the counter, her stride resonating with purpose, her expression full of determination. 

"Good day, Mr. Smith."

"Miss Rachel. How are you today?" He folded his hands in front of him, offering her a smile. 

"I have a business proposal for you."

"Go ahead."

The elderly man remained at her side. 

James walked toward the counter, his sandwich and soda in hand. Something in his gut told him she needed help – really needed it. The sound of her voice? The way she avoided the man's question? The hint of desperation in her expressive eyes? He wasn't sure. 

"I'd like to sell you three cases of my best wine."

He raised a bushy eyebrow. "The 1928 Chardonnay?"

"Yes."

"Why, I shared a bottle with your father before he died. He was very proud of that vintage – wanted to save it for special occasions."

"The harvest is coming and I need to be able to pay my workers."

James slowly inched closer, listening intently.

"I can offer you five hundred dollars."

"Now, now, Mr. Smith." The elderly gentleman tapped his gnarled finger on the counter. "You know the wine is worth much more than that. Five hundred is not a fair price."

"Vito, I'm running a business."

"There's no need for you to take advantage of Miss Rachel because her parents aren't here." He paused for breath. "The wine will sell – at a good price, and you know it."

"All right – eight hundred dollars."

"Wait a minute, Sir." James interrupted and peered at Rachel's spellbinding eyes for a second before looking at Mr. Smith. "You've tasted this vintage before?"

"I have."

"So you know how much it's worth?"

"I do."

"You seem like a fair man, Mr. Smith. At least you were with me. I believe if you offer Miss Rachel one thousand dollars, you'll recoup your investment and more."

"Now, young man, what do you know about wine?"

"Not much, but I do know human nature. You respected her father and he you, enough to share an expensive bottle of wine. Honor that respect now. I suspect if Miss Rachel didn't have to make this offer to you, she wouldn't have. She knew you and her father had a good relationship. Honor that, like you honored my service." 

"You're good, Son, I'll give you that. I'll offer you nine hundred dollars for the wine." He paused. "I know I've been hard on you, Miss Rachel. You should consider hiring a younger man who can help you manage the estate."


REVIEW: 

5 Stars, Amazon, Joy Cagil

The story is short enough to be enjoyed in one sitting whether you are at the beach or on your easy chair enjoying a glass of wine, making believe it is the Santori Chardonnay. In short, this is another happy, heart-warming tale of love from the experienced pen of Stephanie Burkhart.

Buy Journey of the Heart - 99 cent Amazon Kindle


No comments:

Post a Comment