Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Guest Author Series - Welcome Crystalee Calderwood



STEPH: Crystalee Calderwood is a fellow 4RV Publishing Author and the author of "Angeline Jellybean." Welcome to the blog, Crystalee. Can you tell us a little about yourself?

CRYSTALEE: I received my MFA in Creative Writing from Chatham University in 2008. I was primarily a poet when I enrolled there, but I took a Craft of Writing for Children class with Katherine Ayres and fell in love with children's literature. I graduated with a dual emphasis in Poetry and Writing for Children and Adolescents. My first picture book, Angeline Jellybean, was released by 4RV Publishing the same month I graduated. I also continue to publish poetry and short stories for adults. Right now, I'm working on several young adult novels. I've worked as a library assistant, computer instructor, and reader of stories to children in daycares. I love to teach and will be returning to school to get certified to teach English in the state of Pennsylvania.

STEPH: What was the inspiration behind Angeline Jellybean?


CRYSTALEE: I don't remember how I came up with the storyline. I wrote it for a picture book class at Chatham. The instructor challenged us to write a picture book in 500 words or less, and that's what I did! I normally don't write rhyming picture books, but that's how Angeline came to me.

STEPH: How did the book find it's way to 4RV Publishing?



CRYSTALEE: Vivian Zabel at 4RV and I are both members of Writing.com, and I saw her mention that they were open to submissions of children's books. I did some research, polished off the manuscript, and sent it to 4RV. I didn't tell Vivian that I was sending it, because I wanted the picture book to stand on its own. Vivian didn't know my full name at the time, so when she accepted the book I disclosed who I was. We were both delighted that they had decided to publish my manuscript.

STEPH: What other projects have you published?


CRYSTALEE: I don't have any other books (yet). Right now, I'm actively publishing poetry everywhere from Poetry Quarterly to Every Day Poets. My short story for children, "A Burning Need" has been picked up by Stories that Lift as well.

STEPH: Care to share a couple of your hobbies with us?



CRYSTALEE: I love doing anything creative. I take photographs, mostly nature scenes, and digitally manipulate them with Paint Shop Pro software, make graphics and email signatures. I occasionally scrapbook or collage. I'm an avid reader, especially of young adult novels. I write, of course. A LOT. I love wasting time on the internet and playing Facebook games.

STEPH: What's the last movie you saw?

CRYSTALEE: Oh, gee. In the theater, it was Shrek 3. At home, it as Nim's Island, which I loved.

STEPH: Team Edward or Team Jacob.

CRYSTALEE: Neither. *laughs* I don't do vampires. I've never read any of the Twilight books, nor do I want to.

STEPH: Thanks for popping into today, Crystalee.
Smiles
Steph


Crystalee on the Web

Where to buy Angeline Jellybean:

4RV Publishing: http://www.4rvpublishingllc.com/Store-Books.html

Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Angeline-Jellybean-Crystalee-Calderwood/dp/0979751381/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280009084&sr=8-1

Barnes and Nobel: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Angeline-Jellybean/Crystalee-Calderwood/e/9780979751387/?itm=1&USRI=Crystalee+Calderwood


Contact the author:

Email: crystaleecalderwood@gmail.com

Blog: http://crystaleecalderwood.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Crystalee-Calderwood/43820141375?ref=ts

Twitter: http://twitter.com/crystaleec

Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2833564.Crystalee_Calderwood

2 comments:

  1. Great interview. Hi Crys! *waves* Hadn't heard much about the book in awhile, so it's good to see it still out there on blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Angeline Jellybean! Good to see her out and about in cyberspace.

    ReplyDelete