Thursday, February 11, 2016

Lifestyle: Power up with Zinc! #zinc #lifestyle



Initially, I was going to talk about eating Paleo, but then I got turned on to zinc. This little mineral is very important to our bodies. For me, it was more important than I thought.

BENEFITS

Zinc has been with us since our earliest days. its a mineral our bodies need to function. Zinc’s #1 mission: keep our immune system working properly. Zinc also acts as an antioxidant. It promotes cell and tissue growth, heals wounds, and breaks down carbohydrates. Zinc also helps suppress inflammation, and I can tell you, I know when I’m inflamed. (aka BLOATED). I hate feeling bloated. Zinc naturally compliments Paleo eating. Paleo lays off the gluten and gluten is another evil “thingie” that blots the glut.

ZINC AND THE BRAIN

I was surprised to learn how important zinc is to the brain. A lack of zinc is linked to decreased learning ability. Studies show zinc may help to protect the blood/brain barrier due to its antioxidant properties. Zinc has also been used to help treat schizophrenia (along with Lithium!). Seems our brains need a certain amount of minerals to function well. Zinc also improves memory and cognition.

FINDING ZINC

Zinc is mainly found in animal protein.
Beef/100g = 12.4 mg of zinc
Pork/Chicken 100g = 5.1 mg of zinc
Oatmeal 1 cup = 1.5 mg of zinc
Oysters 100g = 78.5 mg of zinc!!

You can find zinc in nuts as well. However a normal adult daily dose ranges between 10-40 mg. 9-13 years old require 8 mg.

LOSING ZINC

If you don’t have enough zinc you’re:

prone to colds and viral infections, might have hair loss, develop acne, have chronic dry skin or impaired mental functions mostly often presenting as depression or depressive-like symptoms.

ZINC IS A GREAT FRIEND

to anyone who has ADHD. Here’s another surprise: Zinc is a very important mineral to those who have ADHD. Children with ADHD need between 55-150 mg of zinc! That’s an incredible amount compared to a normal dose. Why?
 
Zinc &Friends
#1: Zinc boosts the effectiveness of stimulant medication.

#2: Zinc helps the body tolerate the stimulant medication, reducing the negative side effect dramatically (insomnia, suppression of appetite, and emotionality)

A child with ADHD needs a lot more zinc than other children their age. I’m not certain why, but upon learning this, I firmly believe it works.


QUESTION: Do you get enough zinc? I know when I was younger, I had really bad acne as a teenager/young adult and looking back, I can honestly say I probably didn’t get enough zinc. I also had dry skin, and I was the queen of colds.  Now that I’m taking zinc regularly, the biggest difference I noticed is I have less bloating. It’s nice. What tips do you have for adults (and children) when it comes to getting/taking vitamins and minerals?




A POLISH HEART: 


BLURB:  

Can Sofia's faith give Darrin his heart back? 

EXCERPT:

The train came to his stop. He walked up the stairs and found Sofia waiting for him, her auburn highlights shining in the sunlight. Her face glowed like a rare gem.


"Hi."
"Hi, yourself," she replied. The warmth of her smile echoed in her voice.

Darrin fell in step beside her and pointed to a busy market square filled with retail shops.

"So, why do you want a prepaid phone?" she asked. Her chocolate eyes sparkled up at him.

"Well, I want something local so you don't have to make an international call to reach me."

"Me?"

"I'd like for you to be able to call me, and I thought it would be smart to put the construction company's number in there as well."

"All right." She paused. "Do you like veal?"

"I do."


"Mama's making breaded veal chops for dinner. She wants me to stop by the local market for a fresh loaf of bread and vegetables. Do you like peppers and corn?"


"Y ep."
"Papa also wants me to buy a bottle of his favorite vodka so he can share it with you."
"Really?"

"Interestingly, you have his approval."

Reviews:
5 Stars, Tara Manderino, Amazon Reader, “A totally enjoyable read.”
 5 Stars, Nancy Levine, Amazon Reader, “My grandfather was from Poland, but I have never been there, so I enjoyed reading about it as well as the customs about the Easter basket, etc.”
5 Stars, Billie Houston, Amazon Reader, “I love the warm-hearted tale.” 

BUY LINKS:



Kobo: https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/ebook/a-polish-heart

7 comments:

  1. Well, I do eat hamburgers, so I guess they're go for something. I had no idea zinc was so beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize zinc was so important. Based on the foods I need and the amount of zinc I should be getting, I suspect I need just a little bit more. What an interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice. I'll have to look into this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting, Stephanie. I take a handful of supplements daily, Zinc being included in my multi. The only real way to determine if you are deficient in any vitamins or minerals is to be tested. A good Naturopath will find just the right combination of vitamins, minerals, and herbs that can help balance and maintain healthy nutrition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep hearing more about Zinc, thanks for info

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was recently told that zinc is affective treatment for getting rid of warts. Weird, huh? Well, I'm trying it. I have 2 warts on one of my fingers that have been there for a long time. We'll see how it works. If it does, I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having Trouble STICKING with your Paleo Diet?

    Want to eat healthy delicious recipes TONIGHT?

    Check out: Paleo Hacks Cookbook.

    ReplyDelete