Friday, November 13, 2009

Week 2 NaNoWriMo 09 update - plugging away


I'm two weeks into NaNoWriMo and I thought I'd post an update. This is my first year tackling NaNoWriMo. It's been very rewarding, but very demanding.

Well, I knew the project I wanted to work on - a paranormanal romance that takes place in Budapest 1901 between a "relucant" werewolf, and a woman. I need to really make a start on it, and NaNoWriMo has given me that. It was plotted before I started writing and in fact I'd written a 4,000 short and a 10,000 word in prepartion for the novel.

What I find demanding is finding the time to write at 2,000 words a day, which is my goal. I usually find the time at work, but my work schedule has been a bit off this week. I had Monday off, worked Tuesday, had the holiday off, and worked yesterday.

It's hard for me to write at home unless everyone is out of the house. Which is very rare. I'm plugging away, but I am feeling a bit fatigued.

I'm in the LA area, but the support groups are actually in the LA area, and since I'm in Castaic, it's hard to get there. The good news is that I've found a great partner to NaNoWriMo with and I've really enjoyed the times we're gotten together to write. I have to admit, it makes a BIG difference have someone there to offer on the spot encouragement and suggestions.



I'm up to 21,055 words so far, just a couple hundred words off the pace I should be at. I can't wait to crack 25K. I'm going to enjoy a bottle of my favorite wine and take the day off. hehe.

My story takes place in Budapest. I've been to Budapest once in Sep 1997. It's been 12 years so I'm sure Budapest has changed, but I LOVED Budapest. It was such an international city. I loved the history it embodied and I loved the central/eastern feel. It wasn't as modern as Paris or Frankfurt, Germany, but it was thriving and alive with a culture all it's own. The Danube spilt the city in half giving the city an extra layer of character. I've including a picture of Budapest, one that gives me inspiration.

Here's a blurb for the novel:
Can a man haunted by an ancient curse fall in love? That’s what Count Anton Varga dares to explore when he meets beautiful and talented Lady Amelia Andrássy. Anton rediscovers Amelia in Vienna, Austria-Hungary, giving a concert and he hungers to pursue her, only he has a secret which he fears she will not accept. With the help and support of his friend and servant, Georg, Anton decides to win Amelia’s heart. Will the journey bring him the love he’s hungered for, or will it tear his heart apart?

You can find me on the official site at:
http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/526402

If you get a chance, pop on in and check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment